Houdini Technical Artist (Contract)
- San Rafael, CA
- Art (Contract)
Ascendant Studios is looking for a technical artist that will push the boundaries of our custom Houdini tools, act as a mentor and explore new ways to utilize procedural tools to act as a force multiplier for our modeling / shaping / placement needs on our AAA title. This is a 12 month contract position.
This position can be remote or in-person. Our new office, set in an old bank (yes, we kept the vault, aka our game room), has just opened after a 2 year renovation, steps away from shops, restaurants, and San Rafael’s vibrant downtown.
Founded by industry veterans, Ascendant Studios is a fully independent AAA game studio committed to making richly detailed, visceral, narrative-driven action games of the highest quality that players will never forget. We are currently working on our first title, an imaginative and original new IP, which we have complete ownership and creative control of.
What you’ll do:
- Build and expand on our extensive procedural Houdini toolset
- Create efficient and thorough tools that inspire and expand the richness of the game world
- Work proactively to reduce redundant tasks on artists and designers
- Mentor and assist users of your tools
Who you are:
- Expertise in Houdini, HDA's, VEX and VOP, building and modifying procedural elements, UVs, LODs, simulation, VAT
- Familiarity with Houdini Engine for Unreal (v2) Side FX Labs
- Python coding experience
- Patience to create and teach how to use tools for users of a wide range of technical ability
- Endless desire to build tools that improve the richness, fidelity, and aesthetic of a fantastical world
- Familiarity with C++
- Unreal Engine blueprints/materials experience
- Knowledge of Substance Designer
More About Ascendant:
Located in beautiful San Rafael, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay area, Ascendant is founded by Bret Robbins, creative director and visionary behind the original Dead Space, as well as the campaigns for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Advanced Warfare, and WWII. The studio’s leadership has assembled a team of industry veterans with more than 600 combined years of BAFTA and Game of the Year award-winning experience on beloved franchises such as Telltale's The Walking Dead, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Borderlands, The Wolf Among Us, Mafia, Tomb Raider, Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid, The Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty, Dead Space and Bioshock.
At Ascendant, everyone on our dispersed, 90+ person team is encouraged to contribute ideas to our new IP. We value creativity, inclusivity, equality, collaboration and professionalism, and we are fostering a fun, mature and ego-less studio culture built on a foundation of respect and an earnest top-down belief in a healthy work/life balance.
We believe that teams with varied backgrounds and life experiences make better games. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of age, disability status, gender expression or identity, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, race, religion, veteran status, or any other category protected by law.