Senior Features Engineer
- San Rafael, CA
- Full Time
Ascendant Studios is looking for a Senior Features Engineer to work alongside our design and art teams to implement and iterate on level features. Think combat encounters, inventory systems, puzzle systems, event systems, level streaming. Prior experience with Unreal Engine is a must, and our ideal applicant will be able to work independently to gather/refine requirements, design, and implement a variety of different functions.
This position can be remote or in-person. Our new office, set in an old bank (yes, we kept the vault, aka our game room), has just opened after a 2 year renovation, steps away from shops, restaurants, and San Rafael’s vibrant downtown.
Founded by industry veterans, Ascendant Studios is a fully independent AAA game studio committed to making richly detailed, visceral, narrative-driven action games of the highest quality that players will never forget. We are currently working on our first title, an imaginative and original new IP, which we have complete ownership and creative control of.
What you'll do:
- Design, implement, and support new gameplay and engine features for Unreal Engine 5, utilizing software engineering best practices
- Package technical systems for usability, including editor customizations, visualizers, and debug tools.
- Write and maintain user documentation
- Bugfix, address tech debt, and maintain the codebase
- Participate in code reviews, design reviews, and contribute to team learning and development
- Accurately assess your workload, proactively communicate with the team about potential problems or new developments
Who you are:
- Expert level knowledge of C++, object-oriented programming
- Proficiency in Unreal Engine 4 and the Blueprint system
- Previous shipped titles in modern engines, with Unreal Engine 4 preferred
- Ability to work independently, problem solve on the fly, and collaborate efficiently across disciplines in a small, fast moving team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient with P4 and JIRA
- At least 3 years game industry experience, including at least one production cycle from start to finish
- Familiarity with programming for 1st person shooters and console titles
- Experience with Unreal editor customizations
More About Ascendant:
Located in beautiful San Rafael, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay area, Ascendant is founded by Bret Robbins, creative director and visionary behind the original Dead Space, as well as the campaigns for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Advanced Warfare, and WWII. The studio’s leadership has assembled a team of industry veterans with more than 600 combined years of BAFTA and Game of the Year award-winning experience on beloved franchises such as Telltale's The Walking Dead, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Borderlands, The Wolf Among Us, Mafia, Tomb Raider, Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid, The Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty, Dead Space and Bioshock.
At Ascendant, everyone on our dispersed, 90+ person team is encouraged to contribute ideas to our new IP. We value creativity, inclusivity, equality, collaboration and professionalism, and we are fostering a fun, mature and ego-less studio culture built on a foundation of respect and an earnest top-down belief in a healthy work/life balance.
We believe that teams with varied backgrounds and life experiences make better games. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of age, disability status, gender expression or identity, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, race, religion, veteran status, or any other category protected by law.