Lead Weapons Artist
Ascendant Studios is looking for a Lead Weapons and props Artist with expert knowledge of Zbrush, Maya, and Substance Painter to create highly detailed and efficient Weapon models as well as help with intake of outsourced weapons. This position relies on both artistic excellence and technical skill to create content that is both polished and optimized for Runtime gameplay. The weapon designs are a mixture of hard surface modeling as well as organic sculpting, the ideal candidate is strong and has experience in both areas of modeling. The position involves creating art from scratch as well as assisting Art Director with reviewing, delivering feedback to, and integrating outsourced weapon art. In times where we are producing high volume, the duties will shift more toward Outsourcing review, feedback, integration, and in times where that is not the case it will shift to art production, prototyping, polish, etc.
What you'll do:
- Execute weapon models according to the Art director's vision
- Collaborate with Art Director and Concept team to come up with weapon ideas.
- Comprehend weapon art limitations and best practices with regard to modeling, model deformation, and Materials, and simple rigs.
- Ability to Create high quality and detailed weapon models with efficiency
- Strengthens work through collecting visual reference
- Create efficient game resolution models that work well with rigging.
- Creation of efficient UV’s and ID maps
- Collaborate with Art Director and Modeling Lead artist to execute any feedback delivered to outsourcing.
- Contribute to setting and maintaining the weapon art quality bar at the studio
- Execute and deliver feedback to outsourced weapons.
- Assist with integrating Outsourced Weapon art.
Who you are:
- 5+ years working experience in game development, modeling and texturing weapons using Zbrush, Maya and/or Max, Substance Painter, Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs)
- Experienced with AAA game production for weapons modeling and pbr texturing
- Knowledge of efficient weapon building techniques
- Knowledge of building Modular Weapons systems
- Ability to translate concept to retain or enhance form, shape, and silhouette
- Passion for making and playing video games
- Good time management skills and excels at working within deadlines
- Good communication skills.
- Thrives in a creative and collaborative team environment
- Willingness to help teach, as well as review, and deliver feedback to outsourcing artists to achieve more production volume
- Experience working on a AAA First Person Shooter
- Passion for the fantasy Genre
The reasonably estimated salary for this role at Ascendant Studios ranges from $120,000 - $160,000. Actual compensation is based on factors such as the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. In addition, Ascendant offers a competitive benefits package including medical and dental insurance plans, parental leave, 401(k) matching, and generous paid time off.
Ascendant is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more.